How to used Simple Compiz Config Settings Manager to become Ubuntu 3D Desktop or Ubuntu Desktop Cube Effects
by: Revengksky Joseph D. Reyes (a.k.a rjdreyes – jcyberinux.com)
(Note: In order to use this service, you must have an internet connection so that if your trying to install available updates, it will downloaded on your Ubuntu OS.)
You successfully installed Ubuntu on your current Computer, Notebook, Laptop or Netbook, and then after you successfully enabling Desktop Visual Effects and Graphic Card Accelator Driver. Its time to show more Desktop Cube Effects or 3D Desktop Effects using Simple Compiz Config Settings Manager.
(Note: For GNOME GUI, I’m not certain on other GUI Environment such as Unity, :D, you may try if you want, to see the results. You may put the shortcut icon on the taskbar / sidebars :D)
Here’s the Steps / Instructions on How to Install and used Simple Compiz Config Settings Manager to become Ubuntu 3D Desktop or Ubuntu Desktop Cube Effects:
1. If you are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS / Ubuntu 10.10 / Ubuntu 11.04 – by GNOME GUI, go to System, then go to Administration then click Synaptic Package Manager.
(Note: it will ask for a administration password, or your own account password, type it and press OK.)
2. Go to Quick Filter(You must know the name of the software package you are going to search), type it there, then press Enter key. It will give all the software packages relating to the software package name you type on. Then from there, search the term “compiz” or “simple-ccsm”
3. To activate or install the software packages, click on the check box then click Mark for Installation.
It will prompt for Mark additional required changes(or software packages needed to run the software package) which is required for further continue the action. Click Mark.
4. Then as you notice, there are other software packages marked, then click Apply.
Again, it will prompt for the following changes to apply, it will give you summary that are marked for the changes. After the review, and are you sure for the changes, then click Apply.
(Note: Do not check the Download package files only, it will only download the software packages but not installed it.)
5. Downloading Packages Files just wait, it depends on your internet connection speed. (Note: As I mention earlier, you need an internet connection, in case that the software packages are not yet available on your drive, it will download and installed it on your computer.)
Then click Close, after it finish to download and apply the changes.
6. Go to System > then Preferences > then click Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager, to configure it.
7. Set the settings on Appearance – Desktop Cube, Desktop Columns – 4, Desktop Rows – 1, See the picture below, on how to make your Ubuntu Desktop becomes Ubuntu 3D Desktop Cube.
8. Close it. Then press Alt+Ctrl then Hold Left-click Mouse Move the mouse to left or to the right, to see the Desktop 3D Cube. Or depends on your settings. 😀
Unfortunately, at Ubuntu 11.10 Release, they dropped the usage of Synaptic Package Manager, in replaced for the Newly Improved Ubuntu Software Centre. So used the Ubuntu Software Centre, find the Compiz Manager there, I do believe they using Advance Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm) and Compiz 😀
Welcome to Ubuntu World! 😀
Related Entries / References :
How to Install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS or Ubuntu 11.04 on Desktop or Laptop by Jcyberinux
How to Install or Activate Graphic Card Driver using Ubuntu Hardware Drivers
How to Install Software Packages using Synaptic Package Manager
Ubuntu Official Site
Download Ubuntu Official Site