Error message Unable to read from or write to database while updating Windows XP Service Pack
An error message “Unable to read from or write to database occur, while updating your Windows XP Professional Service Pack to Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3.
By: Revengsky Joseph D. Reyes (a.k.a – rjdreyes – jcyberinux.com)
The immediate resolution to the concern as the following instructions:
1. Click Start (with Window Button) then click Run (a Run Dialog Box Prompt will appear). From there, type services.msc then click OK.
You can also go to Start then Settings then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, then Double-click Services.
2. From there, find Cryptographic Services, then right-click then choose and click Properties.
3. Click Stop button to stop the Cryptographic Services. Once stop, click OK.
You can also click the Stop at the left-upper part of Cryptographic Services.
4. The next step is to delete the update log files. To do that, go to My Computer or Windows Explorer (by pressing Windows Key + E on the keyboard). Double-click the drive where the Windows is installed. For an example, C:
5. For an example, click C: Drive, then go to Folder Windows and click it, then find system32 and click it, then head forth on CatRoot2 folder and click it.
6. Delete all update log files (Edbxxxxx.log) files, whereas xxxxx, represents any combination of numbers and letters.
7. After successfully delete the update log files, head to Windows folder and go to security folder click it to see any update log files. Repeat same process on number 6.
8. Go to Services again, to start the Cryptographic Services, then right-click then choose and click Properties. Click Start button to start the service or click the the Start at the left-upper part of Cryptographic Services.
9. Retry to Update your Windows Service Pack (SP2 or SP3).
I hope this helps you to resolve your concern. 😀
Related Entries / Articles / Links / References :
Windows XP Professional Documentation Official Site – Other Resources