How to Install Software Packages using Synaptic Package Manager on Ubuntu
(Note: In order to use this service, you must have an internet connection so that if your trying to install available updates, it will downloaded on your Ubuntu OS.)
You successfully installed Ubuntu on your current Computer, Notebook, Laptop or Netbook. Your looking for other applications(which sometimes not available on Ubuntu Software Centre) or missing software packages.
Luckily, there is a Software Package Manager, that installs software packages that are not yet installed or missing packages that you need to run the applications you wanted.
If you are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS – by default it used GNOME GUI, go to System, then go to Administration then click Synaptic Package Manager(same as the Ubuntu 11.04 – GNOME, and Ubuntu 11.04 – Unity just look at the side bar panel menu, (look at the ubuntu icon), then click it and then from there, search the following term “Synaptic Package Manager”). See the pictures below.
You may put the shortcut icon on the taskbar / sidebars 😀
Here’s the Steps / Instructions on How to Install Software Packages using Synaptic Package Manager.
1. Go to System > Administration then click Synaptic Package Manager. (Note: it will ask for a administration password, or your own account password, type it and press OK.)
2. Go to Quick Filter(You must know the name of the software package you are going to search), type it there, then press Enter key. It will give all the software packages relating to the software package name you type on. As for my example is the samba software packages.
3. To activate or install the software packages, click on the check box then click Mark for Installation.
It will prompt for Mark additional required changes(or software packages needed to run the software package) which is required for further continue the action. Click Mark.
4. Then as you notice, there are other software packages marked, then click Apply.
Again, it will prompt for the following changes to apply, it will give you summary that are marked for the changes. After the review, and are you sure for the changes, then click Apply.
(Note: Do not check the Download package files only, it will only download the software packages but not installed it.)
5. Downloading Packages Files just wait, it depends on your internet connection speed. (Note: As I mention earlier, you need an internet connection, in case that the software packages are not yet available on your drive, it will download and installed it on your computer.)
Then click Close, after it finish to download and apply the changes.
Unfortunately, at Ubuntu 11.10 Release, they dropped the usage of Synaptic Package Manager, in replaced for the Newly Improved Ubuntu Software Centre.
Welcome to Ubuntu World! 😀
Related Entries / References :
How to Install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS or Ubuntu 11.04 on Desktop or Laptop by Jcyberinux
How to Install or Activate Graphic Card Driver using Ubuntu Hardware Drivers
Ubuntu Official Site
Download Ubuntu Official Site