How to use Karen’s Power Tools – Replicator – A Free Backup Files and Folder Software
by: Revengksky Joseph D. Reyes (a.k.a rjdreyes – jcyberinux.com)
I came across to the web to find a free backup tools for Windows, luckily on searching, I find Karen’s Power Tools – Replicator.
A Free Backup Software Solution for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, it is small (only 2MB) but yet power package features, easy to use applications, good to interface.
Here’s the steps / instructions on how to used Karen’s Power Tools – Replicator on Windows :
1. Download Karen’s Power Tools – Replicator for Windows on Official Site. Run the installer afterwards. (click here on How to Install Karen’s Replicator). After the installation, Run the program.
CREATING A NEW JOB FOR THE BACKUP FILES
2. On Karen’s Replicator Interface, click Edit Settings. (This will forward you to Job Settings for the backup files.)
3. On Job Settings, click New Job.
4. The Job tab will appears, then fill up the following information. On Job Name, put your desire name (for example: mybackup-files)
5. Then make a Source Folder you want to backup, browse into your computer desktop for it.
Then make a Destination Folder for the Source Folder or Backup files to be copied. (Note: Select drives to backup files other than the source drive, this will ensure that whatever happens to the source drive, will not take effect on the backup files.)
MAKE A SCHEDULE FOR BACKUP FILES AND CHANGE THE SCHEDULE
6. If you want to put your backup plan to schedule, you can enable it (just check the box, Enabled), then click Change Schedule…(From there, you can set your own schedule for the backup files to start running, whether everyday or from time to time.) Then save it afterwards.
(Note: For the schedule backup files to work, the program must be running or in minimized mode. In order to put the program running when the Windows starts, put a shortcut program on the Startup.)
To disable the Schedule backup files, just uncheck the Enabled Schedule…
7. To make a File Filter, click Edit Filters… Then choose you want to be filter on your backup files, or you can make you own filters.
To make you own file filter, click New File Filter, put a Description or name, then a Wildcard, would be like file extension names, (*.jpg *.txt *.doc, etc….), then click Add Wildcard, to add in the list. Remove Wildcard would removing the selected wildcard on the list. After you made necessary changes, click Save changes, and click Done.
To activate your own created file filter, you may select it in the dropbox.
You can also put it as an Exclude files that match filters, leave it as check.(For example: if you have file filters on *.jpg, it will not be included in the backup files.)
TAGS, DEALING WITH DESTINATION FOLDER TAGS
8. On Tags, click Tags, it will show Destination Folder Tags, it just like a name of the folder with certain date and time if you wish.
You have to type the – dash sign in between, for example: <yyyy>-<mm>-<dd>, click copy, then click close.
Paste it on Destination folder, (For example: mybackup-<yyyy>-<mm>-<dd>).
INCLUDING SUB-DIRECTORIES AND COPYING COMPARISONS
9. Put other necessary settings (kindly check it, if you like it), such as Include Sub-Folders(Copy files within sub-directories of the certain selected directory), Copy Files Only if Changed or Addred, such as Compare of Time of Last Modification, Copy Only if Source is Newer, and Compare File Sizes.
REPLICATE FOLDER AND FILE DELETIONS
10. You may want to Replicate Folder and File Deletions, (Note: On enable this features, you should know what you’re doing, this will delete the existing or the former backup files, before it will begin to copy a new backup files to the destination folder or backup drive.)
You may want to check the, Moved Deleted Items to Recycle Bin, and also Test Connection to Source Drive, then put the Delete Old Copy Before Creating New.
SAVING THE JOB AND OTHER SETTINGS TO CONFIGURE, THEN READY RUN.
11. After all everything has been set and done, click Save Job. Then you will see it your newly created Job on the Job Settings List.
12. Go to Other Settings Tab, to set other settings for your backup files.(I think I discuss enough for you to start, so explore this said if you may wish). 🙂
13. Click Save Changes and Close. Then you may now try to run the backup files by Run Highlighted Job Now or Run All Enabled Jobs Now.
Message will appear that you’re backup is successful.
I hope it helps you out 🙂
The good thing is 100% Freeware Software! So try it now! 🙂
Related Entries / References :
Karen’s Power Tools – Replicator – A Free Backup Software by Jcyberinux
How to Install Karen’s Replicator – Backup Files and Folder by Jcyberinux
KarenWare.com Official Site
Download Karen’s Power Tools – Replicator v3.6.8