How to Update BIOS on Dell Latitude C600/C500 using Windows XP Operating System and via Boot on CD-ROM Drive (CD required)
by: Revengsky Joseph D. Reyes (a.k.a rjdreyes – jcyberinux.com)
Someone asking me about updating bios on Dell Latitude C600/C500, so here’s the step on how to update it.
There are two ways; (Via Boot on CD-ROM Drive or Via Windows XP)
Note : Check your BIOS, if it’s A21 your probably need a BIOS Update A23. You can see it at Dell welcome screen,below the Logo or Press F2 and check on the BIOS. Be warned, wrong BIOS may damage your BIOS and maybe worst, your system will not function. (I am not responsible for any loses). And one more thing, flash your BIOS with AC Power connected and fully charge battery!)
VIA WINDOWS XP OPERATING SYSTEM
1. Download this Dell Latitude C600 Updated BIOS A23 for Windows (If you want to install it under Windows), or to Official Site of Dell Drivers and Download.
2. After downloading the zip file, extract it and execute the C600A23.exe, or if you get it at official Dell Drivers and Download just execute the C600A23.exe file.
3. BIOS Upgrade Dell Latitude C500 / C600 A23 Appears, Click Continue.
4. Select the folder where you want to unzip the file. (Destination path, I choose the default). Click OK.
5. All files are successfully unzipped. Click Ok.
6. Installer will begin. Setup Language. (I choose English) Then click Ok.
7. Welcome to Bios Upgrade Appears. Click Next.
8. It will ask you to continue upgrade BIOS without making upgrade disk. Click Yes.
9. After that, follow the simple instructions then your computer will restart to upgrade the BIOS.
(Please make sure your battery is working and installed on your laptop or else it will fail to upgrade the BIOS.)
10. At boot up, it will ask you to continue the upgrade of the BIOS (follow the instructions carefully), let it continue and afterwards it is complete, it will tell you that your bios is updated successfully.
VIA BOOT ON CD-ROM Drive (Be sure you’re CD-ROM Drive is working properly, or else it will fail or even worse, again I am not responsible for it)
1. If you have a CD Burner, Download this CD Bootable Image file(ISO). It’s in zip file, so extract it and burn the ISO from the CD-R or CD-RW. (It’s up to you)
2. Press F2, Go to Boot Priority, then set on the First Boot on the CD-ROM Drive. Put the CD into the CD-ROM Drive, and reboot.
3. After the reboot, the CD will lauch update bios for Dell Laltitude C600/C500 , and follow the instuctions, (it’s quite easy). Then afterwards the successfully updated bios, remove the CD from the CD-ROM Drive then reboot and you will see it’s updated bios from A21 to A23.
(THE FORCE REACTION) – FORCING THE BIOS TO UPDATE WITH CONSEQUENCES
– FLASH THE BIOS WITHOUT BATTERY INSTALLED ON THE SYSTEM
I know other people tend to ask, how to update bios on Dell Latitude C600/C500 without battery checking, or force to update bios on Dell latitude C600/C500 without battery support only AC power.
Well, there is a solution but you’re putting a large risk on your laptop.
Warning: Flash a BIOS without Battery Support, I am not held responsible for whatever happens onwards, and when everything goes wrong.
Using for Bootable CD Flash BIOS on Dell Latitude C600/C500, after the boot, I know it will not continue to update press ESC, then you will be at D:\> (My CD-ROM Drive).
From there, type the upgrade file .EXE, say for example: D:\>C600_A23.EXE /forceit /nvram
D:\> C600_A23.EXE /forceit /nvram
/forceit – force BIOS to flash without battery installed.
/nvram – Dell splash screen will be keep.
The reason why Dell doesn’t want you to be updated without battery installed, if you’re AC power failed, the battery installed will support your power and flash bios update still continue. Or else the laptop will not work properly.
Related Entries / References :
Official Site of Dell Drivers and Download
Dell Latitude C600/C500 Technical Specifications – by Jcyberinux
Dell Latitude C600/C500 Images – by Jcyberinux
Installing Ubuntu on Dell Latitude C600/C500 – by Jcyberinux