How to Install Firefox 5 on Ubuntu Debian Linux, and other Linux Distribution
by: Revengsky Joseph D. Reyes (a.k.a rjdreyes)
Steps on How to Install Firefox 5 on Linux Distribution
1. Open your web browser (Firefox or alike), then go to Mozilla Firefox Official Website, and then download the latest firefox. I put it in my folder downloads e.g. (/home/rjdreyes/Downloads).
2. After the download, extract Firefox compress file firefox-5.0.tar.bz2,
e.g. [email protected]:~/Downloads$ tar xjf firefox-5.0.tar.bz2
or right click the file, then choose to extract here.
3. Backup the previous installed firefox (In case you want to used it again), used this command. On terminal, whatever directory is, just type :
sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox-old
you can later used the old firefox version, by creating a launcher pointing to usr/bin/firefox-old
Right click at your desktop, create launcher, then type Name (e.g. Firefox-Old), Command (usr/bin/firefox-old), then press Ok to create the shortcut on to the desktop.
(If you dont want to put a backup just ignore this and proceed to next one.)
4. Remove first the previous installed, (by the way the old version still installed), you can found it at /opt directory (go to file system, you will see the opt directory).
To remove the directory of the previous firefox installed, type the command:
e.g. [email protected]:~/Downloads$ sudo rm -r /opt/firefox
At Downloads directory or where you extract firefox, type the following command to move the new firefox.
e.g. [email protected]:~/Downloads$ sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox
5. To create shortcut for the new firefox, creating launcher at your desktop.
Right click at your desktop, create launcher, then type Name (e.g. Firefox-Latest), Command (firefox %u), then press Ok to create the shortcut on to the desktop.