An error message occurs “The System cannot find the file specified”, while updating or when try to install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
By: Revengsky Joseph D. Reyes (a.k.a – rjdreyes – jcyberinux.com)
Possible errors conflicts the updating or installation of Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or 2 : Registry and Corrupted system files.
The immediate resolution to the concern as the following instructions:
1. An error occurs upon on the registry of Windows Server 2003, check the following registry key : [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole]
2. To access your Registry, go to Start then click Run, then type regedit.
3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SOFTWARE then Microsoft then look the Ole key folder. If the key is missing, then extract or export an Ole key Registry to a newly installed Windows Server 2003.
In my case, my Ole key is not missing, but I don’t mind to overwrite it. You can do this method.
This is the Ole key looks like.
To export it right-click the Ole key folder, then click Export and save it on a flash drive or any drive location, so that you can save it and import this key later on.
4. Then used the Ole key registry to merge or to update Ole key registry on an error Windows Server, you can right-click then click Merge or double click it.
It will ask you for the permission. Click Yes.
Once finish, restart the Server, then test it again.
5. If the Ole key updating or merging doesn’t change or fails you to update or to install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack, then make a last resort by re-installation of Windows Server 2003 (not format and install ok?).
Note: Used the installation disc that you used to install on that Server. Don’t use any installation disc of Windows Server 2003 on that machine.
After the re-installation, try again to install or update the Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or 2.
I hope this helps you to resolve your concern. 😀
Related Entries / Articles / Links / References / Sources :
The System cannot find the file specified error occurs when you try to install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 – Microsoft Support Official Site
Error message Unable to read from or write to database while updating Windows XP Service Pack