How to Disable/Hide Guest Account in Windows XP Pro Welcome Screen Logon
by: Revengsky Joseph D. Reyes (a.k.a. rjdreyes – jcyberinux.com)
1. Click Start then click Run.
At Run. Type control userpasswords2. Then press Enter or click OK.
2. At User Accounts, check/enable the checkbox Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer, so that you’ll able see it on the Windows Welcome Screen Logon.
3. Click to Advanced Tab, go to Advanced user management, click Advanced.
4. It will show the Local Users and Groups. Click on Users, then right-click to Guest, and then click to Properties.
(Note : You can also access Local Users and Groups, click Start > Settings > Control Panel, then click to Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, then click to Local Users and Groups)
5. Guest Properties appears, at General Tab, check/enable the checkbox on Account is disabled. (Make sure the box is check) Then click Apply and afterwards click OK.
6. Click Start then click Run, then this time type: regedit
Navigate to following folder:
7. Double-click on Guest key, if doesn’t exist, right-click on the panel (same folder) then choose New then select DWORD Value. Name the new DWORD Value as Guest.
Double click the Guest, at the Value data, type 0, then click OK.
8. Check the Guest status is disable, to do that, click Start > Settings > Control Panel, then click to Administrative Tools, click Local Security Policy, then Local Policies and then click to Security Options.
9. From the right panel, you will see the Policy and Security Settings. Check on Accounts: Guest account status if it’s Disable. If not, Double-click it and change to Disabled.
10. Then go to User Accounts to activate it on Welcome Screen, to do that, click Start > Settings > Control Panel, you will able to see User Accounts.
Double-click it, and then you will see if the Guest is off or not. If it’s off, then there is no need to configure, else, Click on Turn off the guest account.
After the settings all complete, restart your computer, it will not show the Guest Account on the Windows XP Welcome Logon Screen.
How to Enable/Unhide the Guest Account? Simple. You can reverse the process of this tutorial. 🙂
Try to explore its usages, then comment here if you found one interesting to share.
That’s all! I hope this guide and tips helps you out! Cheers! 😀
(Note: Microsoft(Windows XP OS) Logo/Images/Pictures has a respective copyright. I used it for demonstration purpose only.)
Related Entries / Links / Sources / Articles / Sources:
How Enable/Unhide Guest Account in Windows XP Pro Logon